There are well-known bodybuilding shows such as "Mr. World", "Mr. Universe" or "Arnold Classic". However, there is one that attracts the dreams of most athletes in this sport, the "Mr. Olympia".
In 1965 Joe Weider inaugurated the first Olympia. The winners are part of history as the best in the world: Larry Scott, Sergio Oliva, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Frank Zane, Lee Haney, Dorian Yates, Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler or Phil Heath among others.
Today there is an “Amateur Olympia” full of stories of overcoming and examples of perseverance and dedication. Some athletes can fulfill the dream not only of winning, but also of getting a pro card to compete with the world elite.
In Alicante (Spain) we could see a new edition of the most important amateur bodybuilding and fitness event in Europe since Joe Weider started the legend. It was a weekend where great athletes gathered to enjoy the competition and try to get the pro card of the “IFBB PRO LEAGUE“. This is the story behind the pictures.
– Athletes and visitors access the “VB SPACES” –
Large banners welcome the competitors in the “VB SPACES“, one of the most modern spaces on the Costa Blanca. Outside you can feel the nervousness, concentration and happiness transmitted by the competitors.
– The Hall is a meeting point and a trade fair –
In the entrance hall the brands show their products. It´s a meeting point for athletes and fans, and a good opportunity to get some official clothing to remember this great event.
In this area fans have the opportunity to take pictures with competitors, athletes and coaches that they normally only see on social media. Once the access control to the “Gran Hall” is crossed, the spectator only sees what is on the stage, however the moment on the stage is a small part of what the athlete lives that weekend.
The rooms for the preparation and rest of the athletes have a large screen to see what is happening on stage. Every detail helps the competitors to concentrate only on the competition.
Backstage is where athletes go next. It’s time for warm-up, final touches, some advice from the coaches, sharing the experience on social media and concentrating for the stage call.
– Backstage, another large screen shows the competitors what is happening just a few meters away on the stage –
– Everyone is working hard to make sure that everything goes perfectly –
– Final checks before showing the work on the stage –
– Although it is an individual sport, behind each athlete there is a team that supports him –
– Moments of concentration –
– Waiting to step on the stage of the Olympia Amateur –
– The smiles seem to express that the objective has already been achieved –
The opening ceremony indicates to the audience that the show is about to begin. A video presentation about the Mr. Olympia introduces the audience. The big Spanish flag on the screen and the national anthem are the beginning of the dream of many athletes.
For the first time the competitors are on stage and discover why this event is something special. A spectacular lighting system, a huge screen, sound, smoke and fire effects. Everything has been thought of by someone who knows perfectly well the magnitude of the dreams that can be fulfilled there.
– The auditorium looks spectacular from every angle –
– It must be impressive for the athlete to be alone on stage –
– Comparisons help to choose the best on the day –
This event requires a great human effort. It takes a lot of people to do it.
– Officials place competitors on stage to assist judges –
– Hosts make the event flow –
– The master of sound keeps motivation always high –
– While the competitors show their physique, the officials and hosts continue to make everything look simple –
– The work of the judges requires great concentration –
COMPARISONS AND INDIVIDUAL PRESENTATIONS
– Music, fire, smoke and lights. The event is pure spectacle –
– There is no time to relax on stage –
– Curiously, the masks will make us remember a time in a timeless event –
– All details are important –
BACK TO BACKSTAGE
The work is almost done. For some it´s the end of the road and for others it means waiting for the finals.
After the finals some athletes will achieve their dream. Each competitor reacts differently but for everyone they are moments of great emotion.
– The ceremony is a special moment for those who receive the medals and for those who award them –
– Sponsors, so important to these events, participate in the ceremony –
The medal means for the athletes to achieve a goal pursued with perseverance and effort.
The first three of each category will have a PRO CARD, which gives access to compete with the world elite of this sport.
– Athletes have the opportunity to express their emotions and gratitude to the public –
– Pride, joy and liberation. For many a goal accomplished. For others the beginning of a new stage as a professional –
– Share happiness with those who are close –
– Share the dream with those who are further away –
A great team of judges, officials, volunteers, security, sound, image, etc. has made the event a success.
Meanwhile someone seems to be in every corner. He wears golden sneakers and a large T-shirt that invites you to pray for your dreams. Emilio Martínez has make it again. Thanks